[NTLK] Newbie Newton Dev Setup

From: Chris <abulafia_at_madgenius.us>
Date: Sun Sep 03 2006 - 13:48:43 EDT

Hullo. I just got an eMate, basically to use as a very simple word
processor/ebook reader (I'm lurking on eBay for a MP2x00, as well),
but I'm also curious about software development for the Newton
platform. I should note my eMate came with a stylus, power adapter,
and that's it; no manuals, no disks (it was $30 at a local used
computer dealer). I found a serial cable elsewhere, so I can at
least transfer files.

I downloaded the all-in-one dev suite from UNNA, and have an old
beige G3 running OS 9.2 and 10.1 I can use for linking to the eMate.
Problem is, I can't seem to get the dev software running properly.

When loading Book Maker, I get the following error: "Warning: Claris
XTND is missing or installed improperly. You'll only be able to open
straight text documents." Newton Press tells me it can't be opened
at all because it can't find the "XTNDInterface" file. Toolkit,
however, seems to load with and operate with no problems (so far).

It appears the missing files cited by Book Maker and Newton Press are
related to ClarisWorks for translating document file formats. Are
there sources for these files other than ClarisWorks?

Chris
abulafia@madgenius.us