Re: [NTLK] Questions, questions, questions

From: Don Zahniser <irntooth_at_eznet.net>
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 20:57:27 EDT

On Sep 1, 2006, at 7:58 PM, Javier Monllor wrote:

> 1. When I'm looking for a person in the Names app, I click on their
> name to get their info. I then want to look at another name but can't
> find a way to easily do this. If I press the (x) the whole app
> closes. Right now I'm going up and tapping the alphabet letters on
> the top which takes me back to the list but that also changes the
> order of the names. Anyone here have a better way of moving from the
> card view to the Names list view?

If you want to change to the list view, simply hit the Overview button
(the black circle in the button bar at the bottom of the screen). You
could also tap on the Find button and put in the first few characters
of the next name that you want to view (specifying Names as the place
to search).

> 2. What are your experiences with screen protectors? Are they worth
> it? The MP is already a few years old so I would like to protect it
> as much as I could.

I obtained a few from a 3rd-party reseller, so I don't know the brand.
I didn't like them, because they adversely affected the screen contrast
too much for my taste.

> 3. Does anyone have a non-working MP 2000 lying around for spare
> parts? My MP has a broken serial door and lost on of the clips that
> holds the screen cover and I would like to replace them.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it looks to me as though you need
to take the MP2000 almost completely apart to change the port cover. I
have a MP2100 that came with a broken off port cover, and I obtained a
replacement, but it does not just snap in. On mine, the old hinge pins
remain, held in place by the piece of plastic into which the serial
port and power jack are mounted.

The door clips are available from a couple of vendors (J&K and GEM, I
think).

> 4. Does anyone know of any way to view PowerPoint files on the
> Newton? I don't need to edit them, just read them. I take the train
> to my class and would like to be able to review my presentation on
> the commute. I've thought about saving the presentation as a PDF file
> and then moving it into the MP for viewing so if there isn't a
> specific PP app out there, what is a good PDF reader?

I have no direct knowledge, but past discussions indicate to me that
there is no easy solution to wanting to view PDFs on a MessagePad.

  - Don

--
Don V. Zahniser