Re: [NTLK] My first Newton Application...a personal assistant

From: Roman Pixell [GMail] <roman.pixell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 11:44:00 EST

did you check the functions of five speed's eminent wake up call? i
think it could serve as a good starting point for an interface, even
if it could be nicer done than this. a HUGE interface is never wrong
if youre dealing with setting the alarm in a dark environment when
youre tired. here is the link -> http://www.fivespeed.com/wakeupcall/

re-directing text to macintalk should be possible by calling NS
scripts. coincidentally, five speed wrote a nifty system extension
caled dash board, where you can write scripts live and direct in your
newton. im not a programmer, but a newton script that would pronounce
the output of a text file seems to be doable. in fact, there must be
some macintalk related scripts out there already. can someone chime
in here?

/ ®

On 30 okt 2006, at 17.32, Joseph S. Solin wrote:

> Good point. I guess alarm clock is a bad description. It would be
> more of an scheduled process. I didn't intend for it to wake you up
> in the morning.
>
> I agree that it should have a setup mechanism that allows you to
> select components for it to speak and the time it should review
> them with you.
>
> I have learned enough in my Newton programming book to retrieve the
> needed soups, but haven't yet learned the best method to combine
> the results into one text string that is redirected to MacInTalk.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joseph S. Solin
>
> (505) 514-4456 Cellular
> jsolin@interserv.com
>

> On Saturday, October 28, 2006, at 09:02PM, "Roman Pixell [GMail]"
> <roman.pixell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 29 okt 2006, at 02.36, Joseph Solin wrote:
>>
>>> Any programming design and feature suggestions would be welcomed.
>>
>> this application would only be useful as an alarm klock application,
>> where the switch-off button would allow to choose between "simple
>> switch off" and the mac-in-talk version. you might have liked the
>> idea of having everything read for you when you went to sleep, but
>> you might concider it to be a bad idea as you wake up.
>>
>> also, you should be able to choose what items to speak, from a
>> palette in the prefs, i doubt everyone has the same prefs.
>
> --
> inquiries
> wikiwikinewt/

vänliga hälsningar / warmest regards,