[NTLK] On Syncing

From: Eckhart Köppen <eck1003_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun Oct 29 2006 - 03:40:28 EST

Since there has been so much talk recently about getting a sync
client up and running (looks like there are even multiple efforts
underway), let me repeat what I wrote earlier:

- for Mac syncing, iSync supports SyncML already, it just needs to be
hacked a bit. In other words, no iSync plugin is necessary
- for PC syncing, it should be possible to piggyback on Nokia PC
Suite. It supports SyncML as well, you just have to trick it into
believing the Newton is a Nokia phone. And it syncs for example with
Outlook.
- use SyncML over OBEX.
- use Bluetooth and serial as the initial bearers.
- at a later stage, it should also be possible to use SyncML over TCP/
IP (actually, this might as well also the starting point if you set
up a SyncML server yourself)

So there you go. SyncML is the ticket :)

Eckhart