Re: [NTLK] Serial docking speed boost

From: Adam Ladds <aladds_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Oct 28 2006 - 18:22:23 EDT

230400bps serial works, there's a dock plugin and it works with
escale (and i *think* NCU)
it's fast enough, but I still use wireless (less setting up). In fact
I am trying to write a packing install client/server combo which uses
Eckhart's excellent NHttpLib and IC/VC to install packages (I know
you can do it with fetch url and apache, thats how I do it at the
moment, but it'll be nice to have a proper application to do it
with), it will be free, it will be cross-platform (written in
realbasic), it will be open source and I won't have time to finish it
(A-Levels!), so if someone wants to, they can, contact me for the
source code! (no website yet unfortunatly) but it will work,
currently I get a 100% package install success rate using apache (a
LOT better then any other method for me, even NCU), and my mini
webserver almost works (few small TCP/IP errors) and i see it as a
very good way to install packages as soon as NIE is installed, as for
bootstrapping, perhaps we could somehow arrange a "push" over irda to
install NIE and the client package in one sweep, then get the rest of
the packages over TCP/IP? Even over null modem would work (i remember
dumping my rom for einstein over null modem before i got a wireless
card, it was SLOW, even at 230kbaud, but of course 8MB is quite big
even at that speed) But yes, it can be done

that was a bit OT, sorry :P

cheers,

Adam