Re: [NTLK] Newton

From: Joel M. Sciamma <joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk>
Date: Sat Oct 28 2006 - 07:12:32 EDT

Thomas,

> Does this Newton and its followers continue to live on because you
> use it to capture notes for future knowledge?
> Assuming most of this group are mac users, how do you keep notes for
> future reference?

I think the Newton excels because of its rock-solid reliability in
keeping my data secure. For this reason, my most valuable personal
data is on the Newts, where it stays. I prefer these 'islands of
competence' than having data copied around everywhere - I never sync
but I do backup. I like to use each machine to its strengths and go
to the machine that has the data.

Having the ability to upload/download individual items from the Newt
with X-Port enables the other great feature that you mention - data
capture. I still use my Newts in this capacity 'in the field' and the
ability to hand write a structured outline on the fly then upload it
to the PowerBooks with the structure intact is invaluable. I have
developed various workflows to take Newt outlines and use them in Mac
outliners and vice-versa and I will go to any lengths to avoid having
to re-enter or manually edit data. Paper is a distant memory.

I occasionally make digests of important or useful formatted data and
copy them to Works documents for instant reference.

Using a utility like Unlimited Folders allows you have more fine
structure for notes and combined with outlines I have a found a
pretty good setup.

Joel.