[NTLK] Notes and -10606 error

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Oct 26 2006 - 18:11:26 EDT

OK...I just experienced a debilitating error that causes me to be dead in the water with my Newt...

  I have tried to narrow down the problem and think it's related to the Notes application, but can't get anywhere after that.
  Removed all cards and start with extensions off.
  It wants to start up Notepad as my backdrop, but I got the error "The backdrop 'NotePad' failed to open so it was set to 'Notes'"

  Huh? Why would it try to set Notepad as a backdrop when it's Notes?

  Then with Notes as a backdrop, I get nothing...no notes no lines, no menu items, nothing...it'a a blank screen with the buttons along the bottom.

  So, I change the backdrop to extras and try again.
  When it starts, I click on Notes in the extras screen
  Now I get a -10606 error. This is a Card Store Error that means Object not found. What object is it looking for?
  More importantly, where are my notes?
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
  Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton: http://newton.tek-ed.com

Don't You Love Mistyping URL's....
....when they turn out to be pretty neat.

In this case I was trying for Engadget.com, and instead wound up at www.edgadget.com which appears to have lots of Newton software.

 - ProfessorF from the UK pcpro/macuser forum