[NTLK] Re-building 2(1)00's contents

From: Jon Scordia <jscordia_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 18:02:40 EDT

Hi list, as promised/threatened, I'm back with a list of questions
now I'm re-building the key software components for my upgraded 2000
and eMate.

As ever, some good, some frustrating points.

INSTALLATION: Adriano's NewtUSB works flawlessly with Newten and both
Newts, so installing packages has been a breeze.

BLUETOOTH on 2(1)00: I *think* I've read all the necessary wiki type
stuff and have installed ONLY onto my brainwiped 2(1)00 the following:

Latest Blunt 0.7.7 packages, in no particular order.

NIE packages, again in particular order.

I have a PICO card. Blunt found it and it tests OK on a variety of
speed settings.

I'm in a room full of Bluetooth radiowaves! I have a Mac
(discoverable), wireless kb and mouse, plus a smartphone
(discoverable), all happily chatting to each other.

However blunt cannot discover anything, no matter what settings I
try. (PICO, Generic, various speed settings)

Any suggestions?

WIRELESS on 2(1)00: I tried this before so think that when it comes
to setting this up I have the right bits: Wavelan Silver Turbo card,
drivers etc.

I live in a block of apartments, surrounded by wireless networks (at
least 4 visible tonight) so MUST have a protected network.

That network is a simple apple Airport base station, 2 macs, 1PC, 2
Airport express (airtunes) setup, 128bit WEP. Simple because I used
OSX setup assistant and understand nothing of networking jargon!

I assume Hiroshi's driver is still u/s and any attempts to contact
him have proved unsuccessful.

Therefore I assume that there's no way of simply adding the Newton to
the network without removing security. The card is WEP compliant-
possibly only 40bit?

Then there's it's MAC address. Do I have to reconfigure the whole
network to tie in every component by MAC address or can I just open
it up to this one specific address somehow? (in setup assistant?)

While I'm at it:

eMATE: Brilliant. I love it's feel and performance more than I
thought I would, despite it's slower speed it's nippier than the 130.
Handwriting recognition is bearable. Very well designed. I hadn't
appreciated that it's lid can flip right back so can still be used as
a writing slate. Very clever.

N*PROJECT: Thanks to those who made this available. I've installed it
and am working my way in to it. First reactions are that it's not as
flexible as Blueprint2. This installed ok and works well on the
eMate. I'll do a comparison and report back. I'd lost the thread on
how I got Blueprint 2.25, which is a freeware last release, more up
to date than UNNA, but if you are interested try here http://
www.sarofax.com/

I would welcome your opinion and assistance on any of the above.

THANKS!

Regards

Jon