Re: [NTLK] New to Newts. Wifi, Palm syncing, and other question

From: Paul Curtis <MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net>
Date: Tue Oct 10 2006 - 22:04:30 EDT

> I'm a new Newt owner, a 2000 made into a 2100 and a 120.
> The 120 will be used mainly for book reading; the 2100 for
> day to day organization and data.
> Questions:
> 1. is there a web site with step by step, complete-idiot-in-mind,
> directions for establishing a wifi (and wired) Ethernet
> connection between the 2100 and Windows XP?
> I've done a fair amount of network setup, amateur status well
> maintained, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the MP 2100,
> an Orinoco wireless card and my windows office network. I
> also have a wired network card, a 3Com, which I'd like to get
> working too. The guy I bought from said it all worked for him
> on his Mac.

I hope you have a back-up card or two...

1. Clear your Newton of all network programs and make a backup.
2. Make sure your backup is sound!
3. Wipe Newton.
4. Reload only drivers for networking and in their specific order. This step
is crucial, almost all networking problems stem from this mistake.
        Here is the install order:
        inetenbl.pkg
        newtdev.pkg
        enetsup.pkg
        inetsup.pkg
        farallon.pkg
        lucentwavelan_v108a.pkg

I'm pulling this from my head, so I hope I got this right.

        Then you can install moreinfo at this point if your card needs it,
you do NOT need it
        Check here to see, http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm

5. Test to see if you get connectivity, which I'm confident you will.
6. Restore your data and packages.
7. Test that all is well.
8. Make new backup.
Surf!

> 2. How might I cross-synchronize between my Sony Clie Palm handheld
> and the MP 2100 (and 120 for addresses)? Is it seamless via a utility?
> Will I need to transfer information from Palm to, say, a .csv
> file, then import to the MP? Anyone know where to look for
> information on that subject?

OK, I use IC/VC, NEO, and Nitro from 40hz.org and my IrDA port between my
Newton MP2100 and my WinXP laptop and my MPx220 to "transfer" contacts. I'm
thinking that synching device to device isn't possible. I don't even think
that you can send more than one at a time. If you can I would love to know
and I send over one contact at a time when I need that contact...

> 3. How difficult is it to replace the screen on the 2100? The one I
> bought has a lot of scratches and one blotchy spot that can't
> be written on, a spot about 3/4 inch in diameter. I've
> thought about buying another for the screen, IF it's a
> replacement job someone who's not too technically/hands-on
> savvy can handle. Comments?

Frank does it in Germany
Sonny may do it here in the States
There may be more around, but off the top of my head I can't remember them
all...