Re: [NTLK] Questions regarding 2100 and wireless

From: Paul Curtis <MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net>
Date: Fri Oct 06 2006 - 23:16:59 EDT

Subject: [NTLK] Questions regarding 2100 and wireless

| I am thinking of upgrading from my trusty 130 to a 2100. I have questions
(Iknow I have debated |this before and asked questions too)...
|1) I use lookout to sync to my Windows laptop (work laptop). What is the
configuration I need to |get to do this? On my 130 the cable simply plugs
intothe side of the Newt. I have heard that is |not the case with the
2100...

You have a few options..

1st there is no native serial port like the 1x0 models, but what is called
an interconnect port. There is a dongle that converts the interconnect port
to the serial port you're used to, but make sure that the 2100 you're
considering has this or you can locate one if you really want to use the
serial port.

2nd if your laptop has an IrPort, which most do, then you'll probably want
to use this option. The Newton's IrPort is wonderful, but you'll need to get
some updated stacks and comm tools to make it work from 40hz.org. Neo/Nitro
& IC/VC packages are what you'll need.

3rd is either wired or WiFi network, but on the windows side this won't
allow you to synch, from what I understand this only works on a Mac/Apple.

|2) What upgrades should I consider? I am not a "power user" by any stretch,
but I am looking into |increasing my capability. Possibly send/receive work
emails via wireless etc.

Personally I would get the IrDA working. You'll need a few good memory cards
for backups and for different setups, i.e. one WiFi setup and another that
doesn't require networking as these packages take up a ton of space. If you
are serious about using serial, then consider buying a SER-001 to install
into your MP. IMHO, serial connections to a Win PC suck. Unless you want me
to tell you how I really feel and then it would be all !@%$ characters. I
have found that having a spare power supply helps the home office/work
office thingy. I also like having a couple of battery sleds for AA
batteries. If you really want to go over the top also invest in some
high-quality re-celled bat packs - just make sure to get them from a trust
worthy supplier. Finally, I would get a nice fanny pack to carry the beast
in. There are many, many more options, but these are some of my basics.

|3) Will my PC memory care (with names etc) simply plug in and be readable?
|Orwill I have to re-enter all my contacts, notes, etc?

I'm thinking you're speaking to synching the MP2100 to Outlook? See some
recent threads about developing capabilities. I think to some degree this is
possible, but I have never tried it. Personally, my MP is a stand alone PDA
for contacts/meetings. The MP is a much better format than my laptop for
this while on the go with instant on, easy to use GUI, and the wow factor is
nice too.

|4) I have 3 wireless cards (2 are cardbuss and 1 PCMCIA). I know the
cardbusscards will not work |but am hoping the other will. It is a WaveLAN
(plain not the Silver or Gold). On the top is |Lucent Technologies
PC24E-00-FC. Along the bottom 5V and 16 are checked. It indicates BootRom NO
|and WEP no.

Check here for WiFi questions...
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/WiFi

|Finally, I would prefer to make my purchase from the list (as opposed to
EBAY). Anyone have a
|2100 to sell???

I think a better option is to go here and buy ultimately a nearly brand new
2100 for $150 from guys who are up and outstanding.
http://www.jksalesinc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_37_30&products_i
d=90

Best Regards,

Paul Curtis