Re: [NTLK] Questions regarding 2100 and wireless

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Wed Oct 04 2006 - 12:20:40 EDT

On 10/4/2006 10:59 AM, Thoma Mattox wrote:
> I am thinking of upgrading from my trusty 130 to a 2100. I have questions
> (Iknow I have debated this before and asked questions too)...
> 1) I use lookout to sync to my Windows laptop (work laptop). What is the
> configuration I need to get to do this? On my 130 the cable simply plugs
> intothe side of the Newt. I have heard that is not the case with the 2100...

Syncing with a Newt is problematic to say the least. Some have done it
but it has never been reliable. Well you still plug a cable into the
Newt, but it is on the top and often you need what they call a dongle or
adapter as the Newt has a custom connection. But it is still uses a
serial cable. You can get a cable with the connector attached so you
don't need the dongle. Or you can get a serial board that mounts
internally and gives you a serial port that you can use with your
current cable. Except for this different type of connector, the data
transfer is the same with your 130 as it will be with a 2100.

Here is a tip, if you can't get your 130 to sync like you want, then the
2100 will be the same. While there is some software that a 2100 can use
that a 130 can't, I don't believe there is any reliable method of
syncing. I heard that a older version of outlook will work with the
lookout package for syncing however you will probably have a newer
version of outlook which will make that point moot. Syncing with a Newt
has always been its weakness.

> 2) What upgrades should I consider? I am not a "power user" by any stretch,
> but I am looking into increasing my capability. Possibly send/receive work
> emails via wireless etc.

Well technically you can do emails via wireless with a orroco gold or
sliver card but you need a driver to make it work and that is no longer
available (however sometimes people will sell their no longer used card
with the driver registration which is how I got mine) But you can of
course still do wired networking or even via a modem (slow but it does
work).

> 3) Will my PC memory care (with names etc) simply plug in and be readable?
> Orwill I have to re-enter all my contacts, notes, etc?

What exactly do you mean by "PC Memory"? Your computers memory or your
cards memory? I assume you mean card, if that is the case then nope it
won't care. You can take any card that you used in your 130 and plug
into a 2100 and it will read and use it fine.

> 4) I have 3 wireless cards (2 are cardbuss and 1 PCMCIA). I know the
> cardbusscards will not work but am hoping the other will. It is a WaveLAN
> (plain not the Silver or Gold). On the top is Lucent Technologies
> PC24E-00-FC. Along the bottom 5V and 16 are checked. It indicates BootRom NO
> and WEP no.

Hmm it might work I seem to remember some Lucent Technologies cards
work. And being 5v it can't hurt to try. The driver is limited until
it is registered and as I said the developer is not doing that any more.
 But it will run long enough to let you do some testing and find out if
it works or not.

-Dan