Re: [NTLK] Trying to make up my mind about a button on my site

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Nov 21 2006 - 08:50:12 EST

On 11/20/06, Frank Gruendel <newtontalk@pda-soft.de> wrote:
> I'm trying to make up my mind about whether the "Home"
> button on the top left-hand corner is necessary or not. It
> brings you back to the site's start page. But the icon
> above it does the same, because most web sites bring you
> back to their start page if you click on their logo.

Hi Frank,

Okay, I just dropped by your site and took a quick gander at what you
asking about.

> Would you think of clicking this logo if you wanted to
> get back to the start page? Or wouldn't you be aware of this
> quasi-standard edit your browser's address field instead?

I'm one who tries everything and my answer would be yes and no.
This is not a standard feature in all websites, but I try it anyway
just incase it works and on occasion it does such as yours...

I do of course efit the address field also as it's a manual way to do
things but some are just not too keen and would likely prefer to have
a button dedicated for this purpose.

> and Do you consider this Home button a useful asset, or
> do you think it could be removed?

Thinking about it I would say it is a nice feature. Not everyone is
versed in the feature of click a Logo and when your new to a site
having it labeled is a great convenience to them.

One thing though as some may have already pointed out...
You might want to have an alternate state for the Logo when you hover
over it and also when it's clicked... that would help some realize it
has a possible alternate use other than being a Logo or just looking
nice on the screen..

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung