Re: [NTLK] wifi SSID

From: Alex Perez <aperez_at_alexperez.com>
Date: Thu Nov 02 2006 - 17:35:22 EST

Bill Benson wrote:
> After noticing so many free hotspots on a recent road trip, I thought
> I'd pick up a cheap wireless card on ebay and bring my 2100 out of
> retirement as an e-mail client. The first issue, though, is learning
> or guessing the SSID name. I wonder if there's some special string
> that would match any broadcast SSID name to establish a connection?
> Or maybe there would be some trace of SSIDs encountered by the
> wireless driver in one its data structures that could be seen with
> Viewframe or Trashpak or some such? Any ideas or tips greatly
> appreciated.

Bill,

There are a number of standalone keyfob-sized hardware Wi-Fi finders on
the market which will find 802.11abg networks and display SSID's, and
also tell you whether or not they're using WPA/WPA2, etc.

Check out the TRENDnet TEW-429UB or the Zyxel ZyAIR AG-225H. They both
have street prices of around $30/ea, and are also USB 2.0 Wi-Fi radio
dongles as well.