[NTLK] Printers for eMates

From: Susan Sedro <ssedro_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 17:04:27 EDT

Hello All,
I am extremely excited that my principal is onboard and is supporting our
emates for next year by finding the money to fix the hinges and replace the
battery packs. She has also snagged us an emate card.
I won't be here to benefit, but lots of students are going to be much better
writers because of this. Unfortunately, our building will soon switch from
Mac to Windows. I suspect I can get them to keep an old Mac for use with the
eMates, but it eventually will not be able to access the network. (Yes, I
know it technically could, but I am certain that it will not be able to do
so because of red tape that I won't be here to fight.) As a result, I want
to make sure they are always able to print from the eMates so I want to see
that a printer is purchased before I leave.

I'm certain this info should be in the Newton FAQ and the wiki, but I cannot
find it, so I'm asking you...

Which printers had the IR abilities to talk with the eMates? Are any of
them good enough workhorses that buying one would be a good investment? What
should we look to pay? Can we get cartridges?

IR really would be our best bet, since sometimes our downloading has been
quirky. (For example, no matter where we tell downloaded files to go, one
copy always goes into our student, Joey's folder. Very strange.) However,
if we are not able to get an IR printer, which printer that connects to a
Mac serial port would you recommend in terms of being a long-lived printer
and us still being able to get cartridges for it?

Thank you so much for any assistance you can give.
Susan Sedro in White Bear Lake, Minnesota