Re: [NTLK] Stock Zaurus to Einstein? Help Needed

From: Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net>
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 09:09:54 EDT

Le 24 mai 06 à 21:26, newtontalk@newtontalk.net a écrit :

> From: RossO <newton@ordersomewherechaos.com>
> Subject: [NTLK] Stock Zaurus to Einstein? Help Needed
> Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 22:02:55 -0700
>
> Throwing all caution to the wind, I bought a Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 off
> of eBay, fresh from being refurbed by the mothership.
>
> I've upgraded to the latest ROM (3.10) so I've gone through that
> process, but it looks like I've got a long way to go until I can
> get to
> the point that Adam Tow has shown us:
>
> http://www.tow.com/2006/01/14/wwnc-2006/
>
> So I imagine the steps go something like this:
>
> 0) Get a Sharp Zaurus SL-5500
>
> 1) Install OpenZaurus (3.5.x)
>
> Which version? Need more instructions here! I want to get an
> install of
> OZ that has just the pieces that Einstein needs. However it seems that
> the 5500 is considered to have a very tight space for the Flash
> RAM. It
> seems that Einstein needs X11. Does that mean I need to install OPIE?
> or GPE?
>
> http://openzaurus.berlios.de/collie/install
>
> http://openzaurus.org/wordpress/downloads/
>
> http://oz.hentges.net/mirror/oz3.5.4/images/collie/
>
> The note at the bottom of that first BerliOS site/wiki says that the
> root should be moved to another card. did the SL-5500 in Adam's photo
> have that?

The Zaurus has very little RAM and to get the Einstein Platform 2006
running on it, you need to install the Bootstrap image as well as a
series of packages Einstein Platform 2006 requires, as mentioned in
the User Manual which is part of the distribution.
http://www.kallisys.com/files/newton/Einstein/EinsteinPlatform2006-
armlinux.tgz

For most packages, the version doesn't matter. The critical one is
libstdc++. It must be version 6 something or Einstein won't start.

The installation of these packages can be done by using the ipkg
command line tool. Copy the files to a CF card and then install them
by typing on the Zaurus. I think the command is something like:
ipkg install file.ipk

e.g.

ipkg install libstdc++6_3.4.3-r10_arm.ipk

Don't hesitate to use the tab key to auto-complete.

Paul

--
Ministre ultraplénipotentiaire en disponibilité.
Mobile. Sans baignoire fixe.