Re: [NTLK] AppleTalk over wifi

From: Michael J. Hußmann <michael_at_michael-hussmann.de>
Date: Thu May 11 2006 - 18:48:48 EDT

ccsccs7 (ccsccs7@yahoo.com) wrote:

> There are only a few brands of wireless router that support Classic
> AppleTalk (AppleTalk that isn't handled over IP). NetGear was one of
> them. Most routers support AppleTalk over wired connections, but block
> them at the wireless point.

AppleTalk via WLAN usually works, as does AppleTalk over Ethernet. It is
routing AppleTalk between WLAN and Ethernet that's the problem -- my old
graphite AirPort base station did support it, but my Netgear WLAN router
does not. But even if you cannot establish a connection between a Newton
with a WLAN card and a wired Mac, building a connection to an AirPort-
equipped Mac should work (with almost any type of WLAN router).

- Michael

Michael J. Hußmann

E-mail: michael@michael-hussmann.de
WWW (personal): http://michael-hussmann.de