Re: [NTLK] Modem to Modem connection method

From: June Tate <june_at_theonelab.com>
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 14:25:47 EST

On Mar 28, 2006, at 11:26 PM, matt wrote:
> hey June thats my page. it can work. the tricky part is having to
> answer
> manually.
> make sure all the set up is followed.
> Nelson

Well, I just figured out what's wrong: modems that don't support
working on dry lines (lines without the usual 20mA current on the tip
wire) can't do a direct connection through a patch cable.

After some research, I've found a way to test if a pair of modems
support dry lines (note that _both_ require this functionality -- if
one modem doesn't support it, it's pretty much guaranteed that
neither modem will be capable of talking to the other):

   1. Connect each modem to a PC/Mac and start up a modem terminal
program on each one (I used goSerial on my Mac and HyperTerminal on
the PC). Note that if you're using the built-in modem on a PowerBook,
you may have to type in several +++~~~+++ to force the modem to
escape "off-hook" mode and into command mode. You can tell when
you've entered command mode when issuing an "AT" followed by return
results in an OK from the modem. If you don't get a response, you're
most likely in off-hook mode still or your terminal speed settings
need to be changed. I found that most 56k modems require the terminal
speed to be set at 57600 or they won't respond.
   2. On each computer type in ATZ and press return to reset the modem.
   3. On each computer type in ATX3&C0 and press return. The modem
should respond by saying OK.
   4. On one computer type in ATA followed by return -- the modem
should just accept the command and seem to "hang". Don't press any
keys at this point as it will signal the modem to disconnect with the
message "NO CARRIER" and return to command mode.
   5. On the other computer, type in ATD.

If you see the word "CONNECT" on both computers and typing on one
shows up on the other, you're good to go. If you ran into problems
issuing the above commands, try the following instead:

   1. On each computer type in ATZ and return to reset the modem.
   2. On one computer issue an ATA and return. The modem should
respond by saying OK.
   3. On the other computer type in ATX0D and return.

At this point you should see the word "CONNECT", just as above. If
not, one or both modems most likely do not support working over a dry
patch cable. The only way I've found (but not tested at this point)
to get it to work properly on a dry patch cable is to follow the
directions at <http://www.jagshouse.com/modem.html> to construct a
"line simulator" to provide the 20mA current on the patch cable.
Bearing that in mind, though, it just might be easier to build a
serial cable yourself using the directions at <http://www.nsbasic.com/
newton/info/technotes/cable.html> instead -- especially for those who
have no experience in electronics.

Since my modems don't support dry wires, I'm just going to build a
serial cable and stop mucking around with modems. =op

--
June Tate
june@theonelab.com