[NTLK] Newton skin...

From: joshua james <doomsdaygap_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 12:41:52 EST

Skinning the Newton sounds like an interesting idea. However, it seems to me
there are a few key differences between the hardware of the newt vs, say,
the iPod or the PSP. For one, neither of those devices have a hinged screen
cover. It seems like you'd either have to remove the cover or have a
"window" in the skin, neither of which seems particularly ideal. If you
removed the cover in lieu of a thin sheet of rubbery plastic it seems like
the screen would come out *less* protected than before, at least against
cracking. It might be better protected againt scratches though, like the
screen protectors they make for other PDAs. The part covering the screen
would have to be clear though, I think, which might be more difficult to
fabricate, or at least more expensive. The other issue is related - the
touch screen. Whatever material you chose would have to be thin enough to
allow for the HWR, at which point it wouldn't be thick enough to provide any
meaningful protection beyond minor scratches. Certainly not enough if it
fell any distance.
I have a PSP, and I'm fanatical about protecting it. The best case I've
found is the Play Gear Pocket, by Logitech. It's a thick plactic shell lined
with rubber, and it's meant to be on the unit all the time, even during
operation. It has holes for almost all the ports, and the lid even flips
back into a stand keeping the unit at a 45 Degree angle so you can watch
movies or what have you without having to hold it. The rubber lining comes
out so you can put whatever picture you like between it and the clear
plastic, thereby skinning it to whatever flavor you choose. I've got a
portion of a Heironymous Bosch painting in mine and I have to say I love the
way it looks. I've also read a report of someone dropping it down a flight
of stairs with no adverse effects to the machine. Now that's protection. I
wold dearly love to have a case like this for my Newton, especially with the
"flip stand" feature you could use landscape mode. I woudl absolutely buy
one of these immediately were it available.