[NTLK] Fwd: html over serial WAS: NewtsCape over serial connection to OS X

From: Giulio Marchi <emfdb_at_tiscali.it>
Date: Fri Mar 17 2006 - 19:00:18 EST

All right, my message did not galvanize any of you. I will have to live
with it. But in the meanwhile I went on investigating.

Summarizing, my problem was (is) to access a html page on a Mac with OS
X with a browser on the Newton through a serial connection. The method
I have been using to find a solution is the "hammering around with some
scheme" due to my weakness with regard to nets and connections.

For my part, I think I explored any conceivable combination of settings
without any success.

On the other side, the literature search gave the following results.
- Sloup (for the brave ones but it should work though so far I did not
try it)
- The "serial" page on the Wiki:
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/serial (under
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/InterNet). Under this very
general title, you can find instructions on accessing a html page from
a Newton through a serial connection to a Mac with OS X... apparently
just what I was looking for! I haven't tested it yet because it is not
a matter of a couple of clicks and it needs some attention and use of
the terminal but, according to the anonymous developer, it works. I say
"anonymous" as, if I am not wrong, there is no trace about his/her
identity.

So I wonder:
- Given that even with the "serial" page method we are rather far from
a friendly/GUI solution, isn't there a more simple way to access, from
a Newton browser, a html page on a Mac with OS X through serial? I
mean: NIE has a "serial" option so I would have imagined that I could
use it somehow like a direct Ethernet connection between a Newton and
OS X.
- Who is the kind soul that developed this "serial" page? 1) Thank you
anyway. 2) At the bottom of the page there is a reference to a script
that he/she could develop in order to simplify the procedure: is there
any possibility that this script may see the light?

Thanks,

Giulio

Inizio del messaggio inoltrato: