Re: [NTLK] Html rendering on Newton

From: Morgan Aldridge <makkintosshu_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 16:03:21 EST

NIE shouldn't really need to be modified to support SSL & SSH.
Basically, someone needs to port OpenSSL [1] to the Newton and then
OpenSSH [2]. OpenSSH really requires OpenSSL, but OpenSSL would only
be useful to OpenSSH unless someone wrote a new Web Browser for the
Newton that would talk to OpenSSL.

Of course, these are not trivial ports.

Now, WebKit [3] could probably be ported to the Newton OS with a lot
of work. Nokia has already proven that it can be ported to other
operating systems with tight memory restrictions and such (it's the
basis of their S60 browser [4]). They've got some interesting
diagrams on their site.

Mozilla is also working on Minimo [5] with similar goals, but I
haven't looked into it at all.

All of the above are probably not going to be very useful (SSH being
the exception) without optimizations and improvements to NIE. So,
it's a good project to consider.

Paul Guyot is working on "Relativity" which would allow Newton
applications in the Einstein [6] Newton emulator to communicate
through network interfaces and such in the underlying operating
system running the emulator, but he hasn't mentioned how he plans to
do this. He may be considering modifying NIE in some way, but I'd
assume that he's more likely to develop pseudo-cards/ports/etc. that
Einstein would use to communicate through.

[1] http://www.openssl.org/
[2] http://www.openssh.org/
[3] http://webkit.opendarwin.org/
[4] http://opensource.nokia.com/projects/S60browser/