Re: [NTLK] OT: MS version of Newton Successor

From: Oliver Brose <oliver.brose_at_t-online.de>
Date: Thu Mar 09 2006 - 07:02:43 EST

>Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:37:59 +0100
>From: Karel Jansens <kareljansens@tiscalinet.be>

>Marcus Hammerschmitt schreef:

> > That sounds like a clear warning to early adopters. 3 hours, my goodness.
>> Though I'd really like to know what's meant by "the Windows XP variant being
> > used for Origami."

>That's the one that keeps the battery life at 3 hours.
>Seriously, this "origami" is a blatant rip-off of the Nokia 770, which
>is not perfect either, but at least has 7 hours of battery juice.
>I guess that, since Microsoft are tied in to their own crappy O/S, real
>power management is out of the question for "origami".

I've been looking at some of the Origami related information for the
last couple of days, plus Intels UMPC. I wonder how these companies
manage to fill so much cunfusion into so little content. I was
pleased to see something the right size with at least decent
performance. I was not pleased about the hardware design. Beyond
terrible. The battery life is a joke. Yes, you are ultramobile, as
long as you keep close to an AC-outlet. I was pleased to see M$
realized they needed a pen/finger/gesture oriented interface, and I
have not yet seen enough of it in order to say what I dislike. I do
dislike that those things are basically running Windows & the
interface is just an app on top of it. Somehow that spells trouble
for me.

I truly wonder about the battery life. How is it possible, if you
have no optical drive to eat up space so there should be plenty of
room for a big battery, pluss a pretty small screen, to squeeze out
only three hours? That's ridiculous. Old chip?

Another question: As I understand, Intel holds this UMPC thing as a
sort of standard, or what is it supposed to be?

Oliver

--
Returning to my own footprints in the snow
I realize