Re: [NTLK] Newtsync Failure on Names/Address Book

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat Mar 04 2006 - 03:20:16 EST

On 3/4/06, Matthew Reidsma <mreidsma@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Was Now Up To Date and Now Contact capable of syncing with the Newton?
>
> It was, but it was a separate app: Now Sync. It's on UNNA, I think, so
> if you have an old version of Now Up to Date and Contact you might be
> in business.
>
> You will need versions 3.5-3.9 in order to sync Now via the NowSync app.
It works, but doesn't sync but the most basic info--no notes, and worse, no
emails. To cause further troubles, I believe that none of these versions
work well with the Mac OS 9 and above, I had to upgrade to ver. 4 when I
upgraded my Mac to my Pismo, and lost all syncing capabilities from that
time forward. Personally, after using NowSync for many years, I don't
recommend it, especially today. I would work to get the NewtSync app working
on OS X, but rather than sync, simply import from NewtSync into your Newton.
There are ways to export your names data, so that you can at least be
assured that your Newton data remains. I think I used NCU in Classic to
export it into Now, and from Now, used their Address Book Sync to move
everything into the Address Book. In my case, it was a bit more complicated,
because I had sort of moved my daily files to Entourage, and had also added
a few names (accidently, without thinking) into the OS X Address Book. So,
in the end, I decided to use my Now Contact database as my base, moved my
Entourage data there via vcards and the Address Book. Once in Now, I merged
my Newton Export with my old Now database, and cleaned it up, and synced
back to the Address Book, overwriting it. It was pretty clean, in the end,
in fact, cleaner than it had been in years! I then did a NewtSync back to my
Newton, wiping my soup first (via the Extras drawer) Yes, I lost all my
owner info, but if I had been thinking, I would have deleted everything by
hand, backed up my names with just my owner info onto a spare card I have,
and used that in the future, but I didn't think that far ahead. ;-) In the
end, I typically did a once-a-quarter re-import from my Address Book bac
onto the Newton via Newtsync, re-entering my owner info every time--a pain
in the neck, but it worked flawlessly, at least. ;-)
HTH somebody!

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland