Re: [NTLK] MP2100 internet over ethernet: something new, something old.

From: Karel Jansens <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be>
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 06:43:02 EST

Martin Joseph schreef:
> On Mar 1, 2006, at 12:58 PM, Karel Jansens wrote:
>

>>Martin Joseph schreef:
>>
>>>Since you are playing with the router, how about checking to be sure
>>>there isn't a way to force the port to be 10base? Also depending on
>>>the cable you are using, half versus full duplex could also be a
>>>point
>>>of confusion.
>>
>>I can find no way to change the data throughput of the router.
>
> To bad... That might have been a winner.
>
>>I don't get your remark about the cable; I was under the impression
>>that
>>all UTP cables ware essentially the same, save the crossover variant,
>>obviously.
>
> Some have only four conductors (half duplex) and some have 8.

This is completely new to me, so I checked my cables and they all appear
to have 8 wires connected. I'm kinda stumped whether that is good or
not. More is better, right?

>>>Also, what kind of router is this, so I don't get one? ;~)
>>
>>A Topcom WBR611 router, combination of 10/100 ethernet and 802.11b
>>wireless router. It works nicely with just about anything else,
>>including a Siemens SimPad SL4 with a SanDisk ConnectPlus CF WiFi card.
>>
>>Only the Newton barfs.
>

> Strange, I have had very good luck with mine and I have the exact same
> ethernet card. I see that router has a fancy firewall also... You
> don't have the firewall enabled?

It is; you have to have a good firewall in this day and age. Still, it's
set up so that everything coming from the LAN has unrestricted access.
Only incoming traffic is filtered.

Besides, I'd rather go back to handwritten letter mail before I turn off
my firewall. :)

Karel Jansens