Re: [NTLK] Bootstrapped! D'oh!

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 01:06:00 EST

On Mar 1, 2006, at 1:06 PM, Keyth Owen wrote:

> You're not understanding. <snip>
> In other words, I couldn't have used pliers. No room. No way to even
> reach the bit.
No, you are not understanding. You NEVER should have used the power
screwdriver to begin with. Then you could have used pliers to hold the
torx bit, and you would still have unstripped screws.

> Really, it was a stupid, tiny mistake. The power screwdriver wasn't my
> first choice, but I ended up needing to use it rather than trying to
> find a functioning torx screwdriver (impossible in this town,
> apparently). The fact that the direction and speed of the driver got
> changed when I was moving the thing around was my downfall.
The power screwdriver was you downfall IMO.
> I didn't
> check it before trying to remove that last screw with it, a<snip> So
> you see, I didn't put the screw "back in." It was stuck there and
> simply wouldn't come out (I tried, believe me). Once I cut the case (in
> lieu of the screw) to get the case open,
You could have drilled off the head of the screw, that's the normal
approach.
> the only way to get that
> corner of the case to remain secured to the now-warped screw was to
> fill the screw-hole with epoxy. The epoxy was the only thing on hand
> that would form a bond between metal and plastic, and since I had to
> work with a warped screw and a plastic hole that was the same size as
> the whole screw head, I saw little choice.
>
> I'm actually pretty good if I have the right tools. I used to build PCs
> for a living.
Figures :~)
> I just ended up buying the only T8 in town that was
> available (and I looked all over!) and the kit turned out to be cheap,
> useless junk.
>
> All's well, though. It works like a charm. The eMate is clean and has
> good hinges. All is right with the world.
That's what counts, but please do stay away from my hardware...

Marty