Re: [NTLK] Newton Museum Torrents

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Fri Jun 30 2006 - 10:34:40 EDT

On 6/30/2006 9:21 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
> L.W. Brown wrote:
>> There are 3 folks still downloading, and I appear to be the only one
>> "seeding" - but I have to drop off for a while as I commute to work.
>> Torrents really work best if you keep online _WELL_ after you
>> complete your download, so that the sharing is maximized - otherwise
>> it is _very_ slow & unreliable...
>
> Since I'm kinda new to the torrent thing.... my download finally
> finished. However, it looks like my client (BitTorrent OSX) is now
> offline, since I don't see any activity indicators.
>
> How do I continue to help with the distribution?

I am not familiar with that particular client. But in general as long
as you leave the client open it will seed. But that can vary from
client to client. Some will only seed for a certain percentage of time
or ratio of data exchange download vs upload (changeable by you but
there is usually some sort of default). Is your client a browser plug
in or a stand alone client? Either way you should have some preferences
you can set. If you can set a percentage, just set it very very high
such as 900 (or higher) and it should allow you to seed for some time.
There might also be a switch (checkmark) in the preferences to "allow
seeding after the torrent is finished download" or something similar.
They usually do this by default, but again there are a lot of clients
out there and I am not familiar with the one you have.

-Dan