Re: [NTLK] iMac WiFi

From: saxon <saxon_at_igc.org>
Date: Tue Jun 20 2006 - 17:19:38 EDT

Hi Sonny and all,

I had a similar situation, having bought a G3 iBook without an airport
card. I already had a Netgear MA111 USB WiFi adapter, and wondered if I
could use it. More by luck than anything else, I came across a reference to
using the D-link driver with this adapter. Amazingly (or so it seemed to
me, being new to the Mac world), it *does* work, even with WEP, connected
to my Linksys wireless router, and to any other wireless networks I
encounter in my travels.
The driver is called "Prism 802.11b USB Driver for Apple OSX Jaguar (10.2.x)"
It is found at: <http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15997> under DWL-122
Driver 1.4.7 for Mac.

cheers
-s

------------------------------
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:04:33 -0400
From: "Sonny Hung" <sonnyhung@gmail.com>

Hi Dan & NTLK,

I thought I'd post this back on NTLK incase anyone else might be
wanting to use a cheaper WiFi solution as Dan suggested to me...

Well Dan your suggestion is definitely a cheaper solution than an
Airport Card and this can also substitute in for an Airport Extreme if
you need...

The link below was one I found doing a little bit more indepth
research on the solution.
The USB WiFi adapter suggested uses a particular chipset and they
chipset vendor has a driver for OS X. So if you read the article &
discussion in the below mentioned link your will also get a walkthru
if you prefer your hand being held through the process...
You nees a WiFi base station that's either OPEN or WPA as WEP is
defective as described in the article...

This will definitely help with your Newton Connectivity over WiFi.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=200602140626039

I do hope you guys find this useful....

--
God bless,