[NTLK] [ANN] Temporary Newton Library: Even more new books

From: DJ Vollkasko <DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun Jun 11 2006 - 13:08:10 EDT

Hey, what's that--yet more new and exciting Newton ebooks?! Oh boy,
that's like*so* absolutely super-hot! ;=}
Props to my mates in New Zealand and Michigan,

and keep the Green, y'all.

DJ Vollkasko
Librarian, The Temporary Newton Library
http://www.stillnewt.org/library

P.S.: You've newtified some good reading matter you want to share? Just
drop me a line!

P.P.S.: I'm looking for a Farallon or Asante Localtalk-to-Ethernet
adapter w/ 220 V pwr supply or any smart way to hook an Apple
LaserWriter 4/600 PS either to USB or the LAN. Clients are OS X. Any
help or offer bc appreciated.

June 11th, 2006

New in
http://www.stillnewt.org/library/_Fiction/_Fantastic%20Literature/
Appleton,%20Victor%20(pseud.)%20--%20The%20Tom%20Swift%20Series/

#3 in the Tom Swift-Series by Victor Appleton (pseud.): "Tom's souped
up zeppelin helps him and his friends to escape trumped up, false
charges for a bank robbery-- actually committed by others. Tom also
meets a sweetie girl-friend when his dirigible temporarily goes out of
control and crashes into the roof of her school! The characters are a
real treat! Fun, odd, colorful, and wonderfully drawn. The Tom
Swift-books are full of thrilling adventures and most engaging
characters. Huge numbers of these books were sold, partly because they
are gripping and well done."--Thanks, Tony Kan! More about the
immensely successful Tom Swift-Series:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Swift

June 5th, 2006

New in
http://www.stillnewt.org/library/_Fiction/Kipling,%20Rudyard%20(1865
-1936)/

        Kipling, Rudyard (1865-1936) - Sea Warfare (1916)

Fascinating read: Kipling writes about the British naval forces during
WWI, as part of home propaganda. Very interesting are his descriptions
of the British submarine activities and the great naval battle off the
coast of Jutland. DJV newtified this book and appended it with a batch
of Wikipedia articles on Kipling, the British Navy and the great
German-British naval battle, to accompany Kipling's writing with a
historic perspective (e.g. reading his stuff, you'd think the Jutland
battle was a great British victory, which it wasn't at all--though it
was a Pyrrhic victory for the Imperial German navy at
best).--Recommended reading if you liked Erskine Childers' excellent
"Riddle of the Sands" (world literature!), which has been released a
Newton ebook a few days ago (see below).

New in http://www.stillnewt.org/library/_Fiction/

        Lewis, Matthew Gregory (1775-1818) - The Bravo of Venice (1804)

"Well, you know I'f recently had a fling with stories that take place
in Venice (Henty's Lion of St. Mark, J.F. Cooper's Bravo of
Venice--which is actually the best of the batch) or have to do with
Venice and other Mediterranean seapowers (e.g. the Knights of St. John
on Malta, the Corsairs of Northern Africa, etc.). This is a more
romantic treatment of the "Bravo" material; actually, it is based on a
contemporary German novel which Lewis ripped off big time (or rather,
translated to English)."--DJV, Librarian.

New in
http://www.stillnewt.org/library/_Nonfiction/
_Natural%20Sciences%20&%20Technology/

        THE HISTORY AND PRACTICE OF THE ART OF PHOTOGRAPHY;
        OR THE PRODUCTION OF PICTURES THROUGH THE AGENCY OF LIGHT.
        CONTAINING ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS NECESSARY FOR THE COMPLETE
        PRACTICE OF THE DAGUERREAN AND PHOTOGENIC ART, BOTH ON
        METALIC, PLATES AND ON PAPER.
        By HENRY H. SNELLING.

Just what is says above, teaches you the basic ropes of photography and
some nice technology history on the side. Published in 1849, and
recently newtified by our very own Matt-the-K.

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

> Von: DJ Vollkasko <DJ_Vollkasko@gmx.net>
> Datum: 2. Juni 2006 15:11:22 MESZ
> An: newtontalk@newtontalk.net
> Betreff: [ANN] Temporary Newton Library: New books

June 2nd 2006

New in
http://www.stillnewt.org/library/_Nonfiction/
_Natural%20Sciences%20&%20Technology/

        EDISON: HIS LIFE AND INVENTIONS

BY FRANK LEWIS DYER, GENERAL COUNSEL FOR THE EDISON LABORATORY AND
ALLIED INTERESTS, AND THOMAS COMMERFORD MARTIN, EX-PRESIDENT OF THE
AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS.--Prior to this, no
complete, authentic, and authorized record of the work of Mr. Edison
has been given to the world. Amazing (if sometimes lengthy) read on
E.'s life and achievements--and most of all the astonishing hacks!--of
the world first true electric hacker (who actually already talks about
"bugs" in the system...). (Newtified by the one and only Matt-the-K.
Thanks!)

New in
http://www.stillnewt.org/library/_Nonfiction/
_Natural%20Sciences%20&%20Technology/_Navigation%20and%20Woodcraft/

        John Mead Gould (1839-1930): How to Camp Out--Hints for Camping and
Walking (1877)

With illustrations by renowned Prof. Edward S. Morse (1838-1925).
Illustrated Newton edition by DJ Vollkasko from the Project Gutenberg
eText. Highly recommended reading with some very nice historic
background (e.g. how much traveling by horse cart or wagon resembles
motorized tourism). Fantastic book, entertaining read, also of interest
to any US Civil War reenactment geek. Much recommended.

May 31st 2006