Re: [NTLK] "Upgrading NIE"

From: Adriano <adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jun 05 2006 - 10:44:42 EDT

05/giu/06 Alex Santos wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2006, at 3:09 AM, Martin Joseph wrote:
>>
>> Keep in mind though that Paul is our foremost Newton systems
>> developer.
>
> He most certainly is…thank goodness we have him.

I completely agree.

Paul is a genius, and we aren't the unique community which can report
that.

> I hope it will not be too complex, where can I find more info on the
> best platform for running the Newton Emulator? I have two Newtons,
> would I be eligible to run Einstein?

Here is a problem, infact Einstein won't run on a MessagePad.
Its primary concept design was to be used as a platform to develop
new NewtonOS software
on a desktop computer running X11 (i.e. a PowerMac), and then it
evolved to a complete OS.

>> I personally would rather give my dollars (or zazafroomonkies if you
>> will) to Paul if it could help make Einstein move forward more
>> quickly.

I think that all the efforts which Paul already spent on Einstein are
simply unpayable,
but i imagine that when Einstein will be really ready it won't be a
free software,
so that we'll have the chance to leave our contribute to his genius.

> I second the emotion only because it seems that upgrading NIE would
> be too huge a task. How long have the donations been going on for? I
> have wireless for my Newton and I can connect through an ethernet
> cable and get on the web and I can attest to the fact that it is very
> slow in rendering pages and/or downloading pages is quite slow. The
> number of browsers and their functionality seem confusing to m - I'm
> not clear on what the best browser.

The U.NIE initiative started on May/2006

Actually you can use Nethopper, NewtScape, LunaSuite and Courier to
browse internet.
The first three browsers will also download pictures, while Courier
is a text-only browser.

NetHopper is buggy, NewtScape is wonderful and adds a lot of features
to NewtonOS
(i.e. export notes as html). LunaSuite is much powerful but not
complete, so is unstable.
Courier is the fastest web browser we have ever had on Newton, but it
doesn't render pictures.

You will find a lot of more complete descriptions on the list archives
about the users experiences when using the above mentioned browsers.

Kind regards,

Adriano

http://notwen.com/--