Re: [NTLK] "Upgrading NIE" (the Newton is nearly dead)

From: Michael C. Wittmann <mwittmann_at_maine.edu>
Date: Sat Jun 03 2006 - 13:49:57 EDT

Paul wrote:

> despite Simon Bell's
> excellent work, the Newton simply cannot handle a modern mail flow.
> Web browsers cannot render most websites. You mentioned Raissa, but
> it cannot parse modern syndication formats. Etc.

and I want to both thank Simon Bell (for the few times I use
SimpleMail anymore...) and agree with Paul. My life is now so deeply
digital that I need a power which the Newton simply can't maintain. I
need fast, stable, secure, and with TONS of volume. My Newton, as
I've described in past posts, serves as a collection device for the
thing that the 2100 does beautifully: Notes. It's also a fine
calendar program for my needs, so I use it there, too.

I am astounded at what Paul has done with the emulation and have a
Sharp SL-5500 waiting to be used, the moment data structures can be
moved from one place to the next and speed is decent. The only thing
that would keep me from doing it is Apple coming out with a tablet,
running OS X and ink, using all the software I already use in my
daily life. I've been hoping for years, and it's seemingly never
going to happen (no matter what some discredited rumor sites may claim).

Michael Wittmann