Re: [NTLK] 1 or 2MB memory cards > OT

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Sun Jul 30 2006 - 09:13:43 EDT

On 7/30/2006 2:09 AM, Jon Glass wrote:
> On 7/30/06, Dan <dan@dbdigitalweb.com> wrote:
>> Yes in general they will work without the battery. However, as you
>> pointed out if you remove the card poof your data is gone.
>
> I feared that, but pulled out the battery in mine, and when I put it
> back in the Newt (the battery was out for only a couple of seconds),
> it was still recognized as a Newton card. Does it only lose the data,
> or is all the formatting gone as well? (the card was empty because I
> had just erased it.)

If it the battery dies (or is pulled out) it will forget the formatting
as well and will need to be reformatted. But the reason why it didn't
is because many cards have a capacitor to keep the memory intact for a
few minutes while you replace the battery. However if you get messages
that your card battery is low and don't want to take the chance of
loosing data, just leave the card plugged into the Newt and replace the
battery. The Newt will supply the power and keep the data intact.

-Dan