Re: [NTLK] Unfortunate problems with connectivity

From: Gary Moody (gmoody_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Jan 25 2006 - 10:13:18 PST

Hi Darak,

The connection between the Newton and a Mac requires some hardware and
software.

HARDWARE:
1. A Newton Dongle - Black, roughly square appliance where one end fits
into the top of the Newton in the NIC port (Newton Interconnect Connector),
and the other end of the device has a mini DIN socket.
2. a. If you own a Mac with a mini DIN serial (or printer) port, you will
need a standard Mac serial cable to fit between the Macs printer port and
the mini-DIN socket on the top of the Newton Dongle.
    b. If none of your Macs has an old-style mini-DIN printer port, and it
only has USB ports, you will need, in addition to the above, a USB to serial
converter (Belkin and several others make these...if you need model numbers,
ask here.)

SOFWARE:

The Newton Connection Utilities (NCU), avaiable for free on
UNNA.
http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/connection_utils/ForMac/NewtonConnectionUtilities/NCU1.0Installer.sit
This software will allow you to install packages and synchronize with
several older Mac productivity software packages,

PROCEDURE:
1. Plug the Newton Dongle into the Newton. Be careful not to stress the
port as they are very prone to damage.
2. Plug the serial cable into the dongle.
3. Plug the other end of the serial cable into either the the serial port
on the Mac, or the serial port on the USB-Serial adapter that is connected
to the Mac.
4. Start the NCU software on the Mac.
5. On the Newton, tap the DOCK app and press the CONNECT button on the
resultant window.
6. NCU on the Mac should recognize the Newton as connected.
7. Install software, synchronize, etc.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Gary