Re: [NTLK] [FS] SER-001 redux (possibly...)

From: Roland Roberts (roland_at_astrofoto.org)
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 14:31:45 PST

>> I have one and like it---it makes it easier to get a good connection
>> with my keyboard and with a serial connection, too. Of course, I don't
>> have a mac with serial port and doing serial to a windoze machine is
>> near futile....
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> roland

    Dan> I wouldn't say near futile. It just a matter of changing your
    Dan> serial settings, and most likely reducing your FIFO buffers
    Dan> (but NOT turning them off). Then running Slowdown twice or
    Dan> three instances in your task bar (depending on how fast your
    Dan> machine is).

I've been unable to get a good backup of my 10MB 1/2-full card. I have
been able, sometimes, to get the internal store backed up. I've tried
speeds ranging from 56k (fails fast, but works for installing *small*
packages) down to 2400.

My experience has never been particularly good; back in the old day's
with a mere Pentium, it *usually* worked, but never near 100%. Now it's
near 100% failure.

On the other hand, talking to a OSX G4 with classic running and backing
up via wireless succeeds quite reliably. It's restoring that I have a
problem with :-/

In any event, I consider the SER-001 worthwhile just for the
keyboard---I'm always worried I'll lose the dongle....

roland

--
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland_at_rlenter.com                            6818 Madeline Court