[NTLK] Failure to set up a N2000 for wireless internet.

From: Jon Scordia (jscordia_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Jan 21 2006 - 17:29:17 PST

Hi list.

I've read the Wiki, and umpteen readme files, searched the email
archives etc and set up my Newt 2000 with a wireless card. However I
just cannot seem to connect to the internet.

I know that these issues are debated on a regular basis, and for
those of you who have this sussed, I apologise for bringing up this
issue AGAIN. But I'm stumped!

I think the best thing to do is list step by step what I have
installed and so if you could help me by scanning the following, I'm
sure you'll spot the stupid mistake!

1. I have a WEP protected airport/OSX wireless network in the house.
Within clear range are also a neighbour's completely unprotected
(!!!) wireless network and 2 other password protected ones.

2. Newton Messagepad 2000 with Newton OS2.1. Suffers form a shortage
of heap space sometimes and I need to thin out or freeze the
applications!

3. Installed all components of NIE 2.0 in the order they come out of
the folders.

4. Installed 3Comm drivers.

5. Installed Farallon Ethernet drivers.

6. Installed Hiroshi's drivers version 1.08a (NB, how do we register
now? His site still states registration is closed!)

7. Popped in the Lucent WaveLAN Turbo Bronze card I bought some time
ago on eBay as being 'Newton Compatible'.

8. One light comes on, Lucent Wavelan/IEEE slip opens (hooray!)
states verison 01.01

9. Under setup thru that slip, I have Mode set to infrastructure,
Channel ignored, and for now WEP switched off. (Doh, I cant remember
by Apple WEP password!)

10. Have installed the basic latest Newtscape with no extra option
packages yet.

11. Newtscape opens up, I select a website and a slip opens. I have a
configuration set up for DHCP server, the Lucent WaveLAN card is
selected, Domain is set to 'none'.

12. Select a bookmark and the Newton thinks for a while (Newton Icon
appears once or twice at the top of the screen). No Lucent card
lights light.

13. Then...nothing!

Apologies again, I'm sure I'm missing something!. Like, how do I
select a network?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards

Jon