Re: [NTLK] emate helllllllllllpppppppp !

From: Woody Smith (woodysmith_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jan 21 2006 - 08:45:06 PST

Hi Cameron,

Your eMate may not be ready on Monday.

The Newton format on the card that you have cannot be read by your
Mac or Dell, so that won't get the offending packages off your card.

The technique mentioned by Daniel will allow you to selectively load
packages (on the emate touching near the top of the screen works
better for me). But I don't think this will solve the problem of
using wireless on Monday.

You will need to have appropriate ethernet and wireless drivers
installed on internal memory so that the flash card can be removed to
insert the WiFi card. If the card is 5 volt read and 5 volt write
then you will be able to move necessary packages to internal store,
but if the eMate tells you that the card is read only then you won't
be able to. see wikiwikinewt for bootstrapping tips

Once everything is installed and working you will need to get onto
the network, and if it is using WEP for security then you will need a
registered copy of the wireless driver.

So now you have all this ready to go, you will probably only able to
connect to postscript printers and the internet, not other computers
on the network. With a non-upgraded eMate you will probably only be
able to use Courier as a web browser. Sending email is also an
option. The non upgraded eMate has 2 mg storage and 1 mg heap/system
memory.

If you are new to the Newton, get acquainted with its built in
features that are quite impressive such as handwriting recognition in
Notes and the Assist feature.

  While the eMate can browse the web, it is slow and not impressive.

be sure to see wikiwikinewt link at bottom of this email

Woody