Re: [NTLK] [ANN] DCL no longer supported

From: David Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 22:19:26 PST

Paul,

Thanks for the clarification.

The facts lay things a lot clearer at least for me. It seems to me that the Newton platform's biggest failing until recently was the lack of modern syncing software, so I had always - perhaps far to much from the sidelines - held a torch for the DCL. I figured perhaps some day it would allow me to return to using my Newton daily, something I have not been able to do now for about two years.

It seems to me also that the other weak points of the Newton - lack of SSH & SSL support, color, a modern web browser - are becoming real stumbling blocks. They haven't come to critical mass yet, but I fear they soon will. Einstein may solve this and that will make the platform very viable for many.

Yet the Newton will also die in this transition to a large degree. Just as Apple has had a blood letting by moving from Classic Mac OS to Mac OS X, so will the Newton community struggle with this change. There is much to gain, and due to the inevitable, little to lose.

Thanks for your efforts in the past, thanks for your efforts in the future. And tonight - thanks for your clarifications.

-David