[NTLK] Travel-CS (PowerTrans, PT-Cursive) shutting down

From: John Powell (jmp_105_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 19 2006 - 21:50:29 PST

Michael, Joel, Tony, and anyone else thinking this question...

The PowerTrans line uses a registration scheme based off the unique id of
each Newton, it's serial number. Although a pain to deal with if you need to
replace your Newton for some reason, it's the most secure way to ensure a
software developer gets paid for each system that uses it.

Obviously if the only person who has the registration package is closing
shop, that poses a problem.

Here's what I'm trying to do. I purchased Travel-CS from Frank Wegener
because I knew HE was closing shop and we'd lose an incredible part of the
Newton software line. I wasn't expecting to 'make' money on the deal, but I
hoped to at least recoup my financial investment.

I probably should have explained what I was trying to do better. If this
causes a problem with the few purchases made so far, let me know & I'll
refund. I don't want this to disappear from the community. My hope is to
quickly sell about 30 more licenses (here and/or eBay), at which point I'll
donate the registration package to the community so anyone can register on
any Newton they'd like. Legally, I'd want to retain rights to the names
'Travel-Concept Solutions' and 'PowerTrans', but I'd want to donate the
existing PT files I have to someone that can preserve the data (and possibly
even further develop). I've already got someone in mind to handle that.

I know this is unconventional, but the Newton is unconventional. If anyone
has other questions, feel free to send them to the list or to
jp***at***iwillbefree***.***com.

Thanks...

John M Powell
Iwillbefree.com