Re: [NTLK] iPod accessories

From: Adriano (adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 19 2006 - 10:23:12 PST

Il giorno 18/gen/06, alle ore 05:05, Jeff Sheldon ha scritto:

> Adriano, is the iTrip strictly audio or does it also take advantage of
> the serial port on the iPod? I believe the iPod and Newton both have
> compatible TTL-level serial and it should just be an issue of writing
> software to communicate with some of these devices. I picked up an
> iPod
> mini connector and Apple iPod remote in hopes of putting together a
> basic expansion card for iPod products, but since I haven't been
> putting
> much time into it, I'm glad to see you're making headway. I suspect
> Daniel Padilla would be a valuable resource for help in this
> direction,
> but we lost touch a while back.

iTrip doesn't necessarily need to take advantages of the serial port
to be functional,
this explains why it can be used with NewtPod AP right out of the box.

Accessories like iTalk would need the correct command to be sent
serially by the Newton
but support for such accessories doesn't exist actually.

I plan to prepare a development kit to let people manage their
preferred setup
using NewtPod AP and existing iPod accessories.

I will prepare only a few NPDKs (NewtPod Developer Kit) for sale,
probably no more than 5 units
These would include:
  - X1 NewtPod LE
  - X1 NewtPod AP
  - X1 iPod remote plug (solder version)
  - X1 Plaintalk microphone
  - something else i am not sure about ...

About the collaboration with Daniel Padilla, please consider that
NewtPod would not have never come out without his help.

When i had completed a first prototype of the Newtpod LE,
i really couldn't imagine how to use it with the Newton.
Then Daniel took only some hours to make a cool utility to test the
NewtPod.

He did a great job with NewtTunes, as you could see (and d/l) here:
http://dev.newtontalk.net/~dpadilla/progs/newtTunes/newtTunes.htm

Adriano

'Green is better'
http://www.homepage.mac.com/adriano.angelillis/