Re: [NTLK] Terrible issue! Newt goes nuts! Help!

From: Newton (newton_at_spymac.com)
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 07:56:25 PST

> it's the Horror! My Newt popped up some very old weekly appointments
> when turning over to 2006. Ah well I thought, just go a few years
> into the future in Dates & tell the Newt to delete it all before
> 2016. But now the Newt will not stop throwing reminders at me for the
> eversame repeating appointment!
Oliver,
one important fact of repeating events is that they originate at one date
and span in principle as long as you can scroll into the future. If you set
your system date to some day in the future (you did a leap of ten years, as
I understood) then alle the repeating dates are spanned and you'll get 520
more entries for e.g. one weekly event. Since you've not quit each single
alarm of those events they all pop-up and beep because NOS thinks that
you've missed all those events.

You should re-set the time to the actual and try to find the earliest of
each repeating entry and on deleting this root entry all subsequent entries
go away too. Except you deleted some in the chain. Then you'll have to find
again the earliest. This is the reason why I do now yearly complete backups
for keeping my dates entries of the past year and then deleting all past
dates, except some important ones.
And I do never let NOS store new dates, e.g. birthdays in my dates file.
AVI's Backdrop is a much better bday reminder. It is a good idea to do some
houskeeping on dates and get rid of the old stuff and using the built-in
dates application let you search for entries before or after a given date,
which comes in very handy for the spring cleaning. Beside that your dates
soup may shrink drastically :-)

Marco