Re: [NTLK] Net time

From: Roland Roberts (roland_at_astrofoto.org)
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 19:16:36 PST

    mb> Roland Roberts wrote:
>> Funny you should ask....
>>
>> I was trying to get it to work a few days ago and it doesn't seem to be
>> doing anything for me even though I set it to us *my* timesever here on
>> my home LAN. I'm a bit confused about the "max acceptable minutes
>> different" parameter, but tried forcing the time on my Newton to be
>> wrong by an amount both less than and greater than that amount and in
>> neither case did it sync :-(
>>
>> roland

    mb> I've also noticed that it doesn't work anymore, but I thought it
    mb> was just me. Very mysterious, given that Roland was using a
    mb> known valid timeserver.

Well, after all the talk, I just tried it again...and it is working.
I'm baffled since the difference between working and non-working is
obvious---Nettime makes a bell "clang" sound when it successfully checks
the time, something it most assuredly did *not* do before.

Some probing makes something else clear, which might be the cause of my
earlier confusion. When you change the "Max acceptable minutes
different" value, you have to close and reopen Nettime before it becomes
effective. I tried changing it down to 1 minute, fudging the Newton
clock and asking it to sync. It happily synched even though the clock
was off by 10 minutes. I closed the app, reopened, fudged the clock by
10 minutes and it then refused telling me the difference was outside the
1 minute safety limit.

When it syncs, it will tell you by how many seconds it adjusted the
clock. When you are outside the safety limit, it doesn't :-( That
would be useful information.

regards,

roland

--
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland_at_rlenter.com                            6818 Madeline Court