Re: [NTLK] Newton Abandonware (Prev. Where can I find Notion 2)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 07:14:59 PST

Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newton Abandonware (Prev. Where can I find
Notion 2)
From: Bret Feinblatt <bafein () mac ! com>
Date: 2006-01-02 3:17:15

>Hiya. I don't know where to get that one,

Wasn't there a shareware version of Notion 2 around?
http://mirrors.unna.org/download.planetnewton.com/download/databases/

Anyway, here is even an extension by Adam Tow: Notion HyperLink Manager
1.0
http://www.vadino.com/Free+Download+Notion+HyperLink+Manager

Hmh, wasn't there a Newtonian who has been in touch with Don Vollum of
PelicanWare fame recently... Maybe this could be followed up?

> but it looks like a useful
>item, which I had it. Which brings me to the point that occurred to me:
>it seems that there is a small but growing amount of abandoned Newton
>apps (aka Abandonware) out there that us Newton diehards could still
>use and enjoy if we could only get our hands on them.

Without doubt. Often even the developers can be found and asked to
release the app. If they still have the packages at all, they often
liberate them or come up with a refreshed licensing scheme, both an
improvement.

Researching apps and trying to clear them like this can be fun and a
great way to give something back to the community.

>Does anyone know if it would be possible to arrange for a central
>repository for Newton apps that are known to be unsupported and
>abandoned, ie, items that are not being sold, and which no-one would
>be losing money (or bringing lawsuits out) for making them available?

Hmh, UNNA, Tech Ed's and the Temporary Newton Whatever come to mind.

>If it would be possible to do this without someone's lawyer coming
>out to spank you, I think it would be great.

What if you were into spanking? Or <gasp> thought lawyers to be quite
sexy?

'Kasko

--
 >Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?
Either they be polite or you is schizo and they not sure of who of you
they are talking to?
Say, and what if you were into polite spanking psychic laywers? Do you
think (to drag another popular sig into the discussion) you should
restrain your self?