Re: [NTLK] Waba Development

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Mon Jan 02 2006 - 16:53:54 PST

> and so I was thinking of putting together a little Java library
> for making apps on the Newton. Real Newton Apps, not Waba Palm
> Pilot stuff. Basically a cover API for the underlying WabaNSAPI.
> But what do people want to see? Widgets? Soup access? What?

Widgets and soup access would be fine, but be aware that they
wouldn't help you in the least unless you were able to wrap some kind of
user interface around them in order to control them. So what would
be necessary first would be an API that allows creating CONTROLS
in the java language and make it possible to put them on the Newton.
You can't start an action unless you have a button to start it with.
So we should have something that e. g. puts my java code line

JButton myActionButton = new JButton("DoIt");

into a Newton buttton with the text "DoIt", and the ActionListener
I attach to the JButton into a NewtonScript ButtonClickScript, and
then does some magic to convert it to something the Newton can
understand.

Once basic controls like checkboxes, radio buttons, labels,
push buttons etc. are available that way, we could start writing
real applications, and I would start dancing around the table because
I could use a decent IDE like Eclipse instead of having to put up
with the stupid Newton ToolKit IDE.

I have never spent any time on evaluating WABA because people said
it is an Interpreter interpreting an Interpreter. Which makes things
so dead slow that using such an app wouldn't exactly be fun. If this
can be changed: Wow!

Frank