[NTLK] New Newton eBook on the way!

From: mkow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 17:09:41 PST

Hey Kids!

Just wanted to announce that the latest Newton eBook, "History and
Practice of the Art of Photography" was sent to DJ tonight for
uploading. It should be up on the Library site soon.

From the "Read Me" file:

"The object of this little work is to fill a void much complained of by
Daguerreotypists--particularly young beginners.

The author has waited a long time in hopes that some more able pen
would be devoted to the subject, but the wants of the numerous, and
constantly increasing, class, just mentioned, induces him to wait no
longer.

All the English works on the subject--particularly on the practical
application, of photogenic drawing--are deficient in many minute
details, which are essential to a complete understanding of the art.
Many of their methods of operating are entirely different from, and
much inferior to, those practiced in the United States: their
apparatus, also, cannot compare with ours for completeness, utility or
simplicity.

I shall, therefore, confine myself principally--so far as Photogenic
drawing upon metallic plates is concerned--to the methods practiced by
the most celebrated and experienced operators, drawing upon French and
English authority only in cases where I find it essential to the
purpose for which I design my work, namely: furnishing a complete
system of Photography; such an one as will enable any gentleman, or
lady, who may wish to practice the art, for profit or amusement, to do
so without the trouble and expense of seeking instruction from
professors, which in many cases within my own knowledge has prevented
persons from embracing the profession.

To English authors I am principally indebted for that portion of my
work relating to photogenic drawing on paper. To them we owe nearly all
the most important improvements in that branch of the art. Besides, it
has been but seldom attempted in the United States, and then without
any decided success. Of these attempts I shall speak further in the
Historical portion of this volume.

Every thing essential, therefore, to a complete knowledge of the whole
art, comprising all the most recent discoveries and improvements down
to the day of publication will be found herein laid down."

This eBook seems to focus mostly on the chemical solutions and related
methodologies. I've only given it a glance as I went through it to make
sure the text is reasonably uniform and pretty. The one bad thing, as
is usually the case with Project Gutenberg text sources, is that the
book refers to various drawings and figues, for which no images seem to
be available. Still, there's a lot of good information in this eBook.
Give it a look.

Regards,

Matt K.