Re: [NTLK] switch to Tiger??

From: brian davies (bdavies_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 21:42:58 PST

>William Pociengel <hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu> writes:

>I'm running Panther now, if I switch to Tiger what will be the impact on
> my newton connectivity / syncability? Also, does classic mode get
>disabled in Tiger if it's already installed and functional before the
>upgrade?

Hmm... I'm not sure what you're connectivity with Panther is now, but I can
tell you about my connectivity with Tiger (10.4.4 & 10.4.5) and my 2100.

I only connect via Ethernet (AppleTalk or TCP/IP) since I don't have a
serial-to-USB adaptor so your experience may be different than mine if
that's how you connect.

Classic and Newton Connection Utilities (NCU): Both run fine under Tiger.
If I have NCU open, but idle the Classic environment tends to run up the CPU
on my G4 PowerBook. Since I only installed Classic to run NCU I don't know
if that's a Classic issue or an NCU issue. To the best of my knowledge if
you upgrade to Tiger and have Classic installed you'll still have Classic
installed.

Escale: Works like a charm and is what I use to load most packages - it's
simply faster than NCU via Appletalk for me.

NewtSync: I just installed this the other day and haven't done much with it
yet. I've successfully sync'ed my Address Book and, with the dates bundle
replacement, somewhat successfully sync'ed iCal. iCal is definitely more
difficult. I set up a new calendar in iCal for my 2100 to isolate any
problems from the sync. And there are definitely problems with the
sync'ing. Repeat events don't show up on the Newton, though it looks like
they should. And events from other calendars in iCal have suddenly shown up
in my Newton calendar in iCal.

Hopefully that's of some help to you.

This is my first post to the list, having only owned my 2100 for about a
month now, and I'd like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who
contributes here. Many of the questions I had were answered by other people
already.

    brian

--
brian davies
"The real issue with e-mail is that you can't properly convey sarcasm.  If