Re: [NTLK] OT Installing OS X on a Macintosh Performa 550?

From: Andrew Hazelden (andrewhazelden_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 11 2006 - 08:18:15 PST

Hi. All technical and compatibility issues aside, your first two big
problems would be the amount of both hard drive storage space and physical
ram. Mac OS X typically requires over 1 gb of hard drive space and about 128
mb of ram.

You may prefer buying a used imac or something off ebay.

If installing Mac OS X on an older mac is something you truly want to do you
may need to explore a software utility called Xpostfacto. It is not the most
user friendly software but on SOME older macs it does the job.

http://tinyurl.com/veap

Andrew Hazelden

P.S. To the best of my knowledge there is a requirement for a "PPC" cpu to
run Mac OS X.

The only other option was an experimental install of Mac OS X that is not
practical for real world use. If my memory serves me correctly, it was done
by using a Centris 650 and installing LINUX then loading an emulator called
Pear-PC. This was really slow and not useful for real world computing. Their
also existed a 2 gb file size barrier with this setup.

http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=2003