Re: [NTLK] WaveLAN Bronze

From: andrewfox_at_mac.com
Date: Sun Feb 05 2006 - 00:41:58 PST

Hi,

 From an Airport Extreme user:

1. Newton MP2000/2100 series do work with these access points.

2. I have tried over two dozen unique wireless cards with mine and
all except one have connected fine and allowed me to surf the web

3. The one that won't is the WaveLAN Bronze Turbo version and that
was tested with WEP disabled on the AP cos the card don't
        support it;-)

4. For some of the cards WEP works okay and for others it doesn't.

5. On balance the Airport Extreme seems to prefer 128bit WEP keys
when connecting from a Newton.

6. It's best to start with DHCP from the Newton side when testing and
go to manual addressing if that doesn't work.

7. If you have to use manual IP addressing from the word go then make
sure you put the IP address for a valid EXTERNAL DNS server
        in the config …… otherwise you will go nowhere fast!

8. Using your broadband router's internal IP for DNS does not always
work, for some reason, when doing wireless from a Newt.

Please consider the above on the following premise. My Airport
Extreme access point is functioning as a wireless gateway to a wired
network and is NOT providing DHCP addresses itself. On my network
that is handled by another Mac running Mac OS X Server.

I will do some testing over the next week or so using DHCP straight
off the Extreme and report back to the list.

regards
Andrew