[NTLK] Wifi internet again. This time SPEED.

From: Jon Scordia (jscordia_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Feb 03 2006 - 01:11:38 PST

Hello guys.

Thank you for the feedback on my last post regarding a Wavelan Turbo
silver card. A lot to think about regarding wireless security.

My immediate feelings are that WEP will do me for now. The Newton
only needs to perform within the confines of my WEP secured home
network and I seem to live in a block full of totally unsecured
networks so they will hopefully deflect attention!

The Lucent card does appear to work, certainly without WAP and
therefore picking up on this sea of free bandwidth!

So this question relates to the speed I should expect from this setup
and a Newton 2000 with Newtscape.

The connection is very slow indeed. There are times when I'm unsure
whether the Newton is doing anything at all. Newtscape doesn't have a
reliable 'working' indicator. The standard 'thinking' icon appears at
the top of the screen but intermittently.

So I assume that I need to start freeing up internal memory and
possibly freezing apps.

What should I expect by way of performance with a 2000? How much
better would it be if I upgraded the motherboard to a 2100?

Any other speed tips?

I'm not expecting a full on internet experience, but to be able to
view the sites I typically do such as www.bbc.co.uk and .mac email
remotely in the flat would be superb.

Thank you, my personal advisors!

Regards