Re: [NTLK] Lucent Wavelan Turbo Silver - success!

From: hellsop_at_ninehells.com
Date: Wed Feb 01 2006 - 07:57:00 PST

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 10:26:43AM -0500, Harry Teasley wrote:
> On 2/1/06, Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > The Lucent WaveLan Silver Turbo does work with WEP.
>
> Along with this, the FAQ wasn't clear on the topic, so I ask here: is
> there any current WiFI card that anyone knows of that is 5v and not
> cardbus? I see store brand cards, like CompUSA 802.11b pc cards, and
> they don't have any specs on the boxes or chip info, so I don't know
> how to assess them, but are Newt-compatible cards being made at all
> anymore, or is the WiFI route solely one of eBaying old compatible
> cards?

If you can't tell whether a particular card is going to work, then it
won't.

A quick hint is to look at the photo of the card, like on

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=334317&pfp=cat3

See that copper strip showing on the connector end peeking out from
under the cnet badge? That's an indicator that it's a cardbus card, not
a plain PCMCIA, and is therefore 100% guaranteed not to work in a Newton
ever.

--
I hate mornings.  I know they hate me back, too.
              -- Joel Gluth