Re: [NTLK] New user question about CF cards

From: Joost van de Griek <jvdg_at_jvdg.com>
Date: Fri Dec 15 2006 - 12:01:37 EST

Sam Speake:

> Surly the price of the software should reflect what its worth to a
> customer? I'm
> sure a programmer would value his software much higher.

Not really. The price should reflect what the seller wants for it. Whether or not the (prospective) customer wishes to pay that price, is up to him.

> I'm sure
> if I hand made a pair of jeans and it took me days then I would want
£400
> for them... but I would not buy a pair for £400, unless there was
> added value.

Like... being hand-made, perhaps?

> If the software it no longer updated or supported then its price
> should reflect that.

"Should"? all I'm seeing here is your sense of entitlement. It's really simple. If you think the software, which you so obviously covet, is worth the asking price, buy it. If you don't think so, don't buy it.

Your only other (sensible) option is to contact the seller *directly* and try to negotiate a price that is acceptable to both.

> And your comments on dividing the cost by the copies he may sell....
> it would
> make sense to sell more at a lower price than less at a higher. The
> price of
> ATA support makes people question its worth and if they may purchase.

Not necessarily. Selling only one copy at a couple of million dollars would be by far preferable to selling a hundred at $66.

> If the price was lower then no one would hesitate at purchasing a
> software
> that is no longer updated or supported.

I would.

> one of the many good things with newtons is that they are affordable
> and cheap to run and own.
> So don't price yourself out of the market.

What market? Do you know of anyone else selling ATA storage drivers for the Newton? If so, please share!

,xtG
tsooJ