Re: [NTLK] Recharging disposable AA batteries?

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 10:35:50 EST

~~~ On 2006/12/12 14:29, John at OceanCity@mac.com wrote ~~~

>> Indeed, that is why it is always a good idea to research and ask around
>> to find out if what you just read is true or just a lot of wishful thinking.
>
> I would STRONGLY suggest you NOT even attempt to recharge a dry battery
> as the chemistry is akin to reversing jumper-cables to jump start a dead
> car battery .....not a pretty sight.
>
> Little things such as leakage and/or explosion could really put a damper
> on your day ;-)
>

> On the lighter side, having been "electrocuted" from hand through arm
> across heart back out other arm to other hand from childhood fooling
> with electronic circuitry more times than I can remember, once being
> hurled across my basement floor approx 40 feet to the other side and
> being practically splattered on the opposing wall <g> I'm at a loss to
> explain why I still have a pulse ;-o
>
> Please be careful, wise, and aware if possible. John

I can only second (third? thirtieth?) the preceeding warnings. A friend of
mine, after a high school course in electronics once tried the kind of
recharge proposed here, to his cost. A little knowledge *is* a dangerous
thing. The resultant explosion turned the innocent bits of the plastic
charger-box he'd built into shrapnel. No one was hurt, but it could have
been nasty if someone had been in the room at the time.

Admittedly, the more common result is a loud "pop" and a catastrophic
leakage, but why gamble? I realize that the "designer" of this contraption
said, "The experience was about as life threatening as a squirrel urinating
on my lawn" but I'm thinking "good luck" rather than "good tech".

FWIW.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a NewtonPad.˛
            -- in appreciation of Arthur C. Clarke

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/