Re: [NTLK] Considering Newton as eBook Reader

From: Ivan Kowalenko <ivan.kowalenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 06 2006 - 15:58:06 EST

On Dec 6, 2006, at 08.28, Woody Smith wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2006, at 12:31 AM, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
>>
>>> For plain text or word processing documents use Newton Press
>>>
>>> NewtsCape is capable of connecting to the web directly or to your
>>> Mac (using personal web sharing), via ethernet.
>>
>> Yeah, that was the plan. But I'd rather have a local copy on the
>> Newton so I'm not tied down (which is mostly the reason I'm
>> considering this project)
>
> NewtsCape can save whatever current pages you are viewing as a Newton
> Book as a newton book.

That was the plan.

>>> You will need to get the Newton ethernet ready.
>>
>> That's my biggest problem. No serial ports. I'd rather not have to
>> buy a USB-Serial adapter if I can avoid it.
>>
> Since you already have a compatible ethernet card, you don't need the
> serial adapter. You can install packages via personal web sharing
> also.

Ooh, useful stuff to know! Is this done via Ethernet Syncing (which
would have been part of the plan), or by putting the package on my
local webserver and pointing Newtscape right at it? I figured that
once I had a working Ethernet card, using the serial adaptor would be
a thing of the past.

> What you need is to access the card sharing program, one of the
> hosts can send you a loaner card with necessary drivers and you are
> ready to go. I would recommend using a subject line of 'Loaner Cards"

Ahh, see I didn't know that such a program existed. Since those cards
are so small and light (compared to a lot of other items that go
through the mail) shipping shouldn't be too much. Thanks for letting
me know about that.